The clutch is something you use extensively while driving, so it is important to keep it in good working order. The lifetime of your clutch depends on the way you drive and the journeys you make. Using your clutch from a stationary position wears it out more, therefore driving round town or journeys when you have to stop and start more reduces the life of your clutch. To get maximum use from your clutch you should not rest your foot on the clutch pedal while driving or leave it in gear while sat stationary and only use the clutch for as long as is necessary.
A clutch only wears while the clutch disc and the flywheel are spinning at different speeds. When they are locked together, the friction material is held tightly against the flywheel making them move in sync with each other. It is only when the clutch disc is slipping against the flywheel that wearing occurs. So if you slip the clutch this is why it will wear much quicker.
Sometimes the problem is not with the clutch slipping, but with it sticking. If your clutch will not release properly, it will continue to turn the input shaft, which may cause grinding or prevent your car from going into gear.
Common reasons a clutch may stick
- Broken or stretched clutch cable – The cable needs the right amount of tension to push and pull effectively.
- Leaky or defective slave and/or master clutch cylinders – Leaks keep the cylinders from building the necessary amount of pressure.
- Air in the hydraulic line – Air affects the hydraulics by taking up space the fluid needs to build pressure.
- Misadjusted linkage – When your foot hits the pedal, the linkage transmits the wrong amount of force.
- Mismatched clutch components – Not all aftermarket parts work with your clutch.
Free Clutch Checks
If you are in any doubt that your clutch is faulty we will complete a free clutch check while you wait. Through our expertise we will be able to diagnose if your clutch is faulty or worn and will tell you before we start any work on your vehicle. You can bring your vehicle along at anytime during our opening hours which are 08:00 – 5.30pm Monday – Friday and 08:00 – 1:00pm Saturdays.
We offer free collection/delivery of your car and a courtesy car (if available).
As the South Wests Premiere Clutch Specialist, we are number one for clutch repairs and replacements.
We cover Exeter, Newton Abbot, Torquay, Paignton, Brixham, Totnes, Plymouth, situated at Automaster mot testing station, Longcombe Cross, Totnes, South Devon, TQ9 6PL. 01803 862152